Tuesday, July 20, 2010

the backsplash


The one thing I absolutely 100 percent knew about before going into this renovation was that I wanted subway tile for the backsplash. It's classic, clean and timeless to me.

I knew I wanted white tile. But then I eventually got carried away into the handmade as opposed to machine made, and that's how I ended up at Waterworks. Which only led me down into the depths of craziness, because soon I was on several phonecalls discussing such things like Architectonics vs. Cottage vs. Archive. What?!


Needless to say, the possibilities of subway tile looks, finishes, sizes and colors are ENDLESS. Just perfect. In my descent into third circle of subway tile hell, I discovered:

The Cottage line is thinner, flatter and has a cooler white, and is the least expensive.

Archive is thicker, has surface waviness and has a brighter white, and it's the most expensive.

Architectonics is in between the two in terms of look and price. It's nice, bright white as well.

After contemplating having very visible surface waviness (do you see how this sounds insane?), I was convinced it would be too much of a country look for the kitchen. So, I went for the Architectonics line (in Mykonos) over the Cottage for more of a handmade feel.


The Scotia rail (from the Architectonics line) will be used as a pencil trim (minus the crackle seen here in the photo) on top of the subway tile that is going on the walls like so:

No comments: